Commissioning

Interesting day today. I composed this yesterday and tried to upload it and I was denied access to my blog. After four hours of working with various tech types at Hostgator (my web hosting service) and wordpress (my blog outfit with two different logins for my blog and my account with them), I finally discovered that somebody had hijacked my blog. From there it got worse as I tried to reconstruct who they were and how they had changed my user name and password. Once I got that sorted, it then became a matter of removing their privileges and restoring mine. No gory details but is was basically awful as when I went to delete them, wordpress wanted to delete my access to all my old posts as well. Lesson learned – make sure I log out as administrator ever time I log in. Anyway…………….

Our time has been a mix of being dockside at Pacific Disgraceway Marina and off enjoying some of the North Island’s sites. The emphasis, however, has been on commissioning and dealing with the inevitable issues that come with a new boat. Each time out, our list grows shorter as we spend more time away from the dock. Our runs have generally consisted of heading north to Whangamumu and Whangaroa as well as south to Great Barrier Island among other places.

The following two pictures were taken off the sometimes fearsome Cape Brett on an unusual flat calm day.

DSC01247

To give a sense of scale, the hole thru the rock is large enough for Iron Lady to sail thru. Larger tourist boats do so routinely but we took a pass on even a flat calm day.

DSC01249

The following three pictures were taken in Whangamumu. An interesting contrast between the dead tree and the surrounding bush.

DSC01232

DSC01223

And Iron Lady looking back from the bow.

DSC01230

Whangaroa is a beautiful harbor with very unusual rock formations.

IMG 2991

IMG 2993

A pretty little stream with several large waterfalls leads off from the anchorage. Time did not permit a big explore this time but there are some nice pictures in our older post of our circumnavigation of New Zealand in the first Iron Lady.

IMG 2994

The new Iron Lady has several water toys – among them a 15 foot aluminum bottom inflatable with a 70 HP Yamaha and a smaller rowing dinghy patterned after the salmon fishing boats that were traditionally used in the Pacific Northwest.

IMG 2976

We occasionally get unwelcome visitors that we ask to move on.

IMG 2979

I had another shortly after moving aboard while Steve was down in Auckland. I got up one morning and found a fellow sleeping on the matrix deck on our coach – couldn’t believe it. He said he had been in the hospital and had been discharged late at night and had gotten lost. His cell was dead and he couldn’t call his mate. He did have a bandage where an IV had been inserted so his story was at least partially true. Either way, I told him to leave in no uncertain terms.

Anyway, I will close for now with a picture of our dinner aboard in Whangaroa.

DSC01252

Vegetable skewers with havarti cheese, roasted corn and snapper (caught that afternoon) saviche Peruvian style with red onions marinated in lime and lemon juice and sweet potato. It tasted even better then it looks.

I will close for now with a typical NZ sunset from the land of the glowing skies as the Maori say (technically Rakiura which is Stewart Island). Anyway – please enjoy.

DSC01218

This entry was posted in 78-3 Updates. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Commissioning

1. Carl E. says:

Hi Pete,

The matrix deck doesn’t have a closure system like 97-1?

Great photo of the smaller dinghy, it looks very relaxing.

• Peter Rossin says:

Hi Carl

Not sure about the 97 – we have a full enclosure around the matrix. Same high strength E Glass as the salon windows except for the aft enclosure which is eisenglass and the vent windows and doors to the wings which are Lexan. Love the E GLass – wish I could have done it all that way with the possible exception of the aft matrix enclosure – nice to open that for ventilation in the tropics.

2. Carl E. says:

Hi Pete,

Sorry for being unclear, I meant something like this:

3. Carl E. says:

Hi Pete,

Again sorry for not being clear. Your story about an intruder on the matrix deck had me wondering if you could close off the entrance to the matrix deck from the main deck like 97-1. From the photo I posted, they seem to have a closure at the top of the stairs that they can roll away to open, and which can be locked when closed, making access to the matrix deck much harder and improving security.

These two images show the open and the closed state:

• Peter Rossin says:

Hi Carl. Got it now. The short answer is no. We can shut off the stairway to the matrix with drop down curtains – one a screen for bugs and one normal eisenglass. Neither would keep an intruder out but would make it more difficult for one. The best intruder protection is really the alarm system with deck sensors to detect any movement on deck. The downside is that it can go off without an actual intruder

4. Carl E. says:

Hi Pete,

On the photo taken from the bow, two lines seem to go from the forward mast to the roof of the great room. Are they just to help keep the mast up or is one of them an SSB antenna?

• Peter Rossin says:

Hi Carl

The SSB antenna is actually run from the top of the mast to the radar arch over the matrix. The lines you are referring to are actually man lines which are used when moving forward on the foredeck when underway. They are high enough to walk under but low enough to use as grab lines or to hook a safety harness to when working on the foredeck at sea. We also use them for a wind scoop over the forepeak hatch which diverts an enormous amount of air thru the boat when at anchor. Obviously does not work int he rain but great otherwise as it eliminates the need for aircon and running the genny at night.

Best